For years I have been following news from the survival “realm” all over the internet. One thing is for sure: every day in those years when I read survival “news” I could conclude, based on the headlines, that the world is going to chaos and end in the next week, next month or next year.
And still we are here discussing, we have all the comforts and commodities. Let’s say we are doing fine.
But now, for the first time, I have a feeling that world is going to chaos really soon.
Too many things are seemingly “moving” inside global calculations, and this time we could be close to a “big one”.
No matter how much food, ammo., training and skills you have when SHTF you are gonna be surprised. Most of us have been in the mode of preparing for something that is not happening for years, and when it finally happens there is going to be a period of shock for the folks, and in that period a LOT of people are going to die.
Since most of the folks who read my stuff and subscribe to my courses are from US, things that are written here are meant for them mostly, but not exclusively for them.
Every now and then I get questions about similarities between situation in US and the Balkans before SHTF. And I have read couple of good articles about the same topic lately.
Since I have lot of people that I can call good friends, and they are from States, I am going to point out some things about my Balkan SHTF and possible US SHTF. There are some serious and worrying parallels, even we are talking about two different systems.
Feel free to prove me wrong in comments, I am open to discussion…
|“The people have always some champion whom they set over them and nurse into greatness. . . . This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector. . . having a mob entirely at his disposal . . . .” —Plato|
I have lived in the system and country where we believed that we are all equal. Different nationalities, different religions etc. Melted all together to make one “big and prosperous” nation, to be great and equal… united.
And then leverage of world forces simply changed, and suddenly we are being taught that differences between us are more important than similarities and “one nations”, old history battles are been taught again, one group suddenly is more important then other and so on and so on.
And then came “leaders” or saviors that led us against others. After years of carnage, here we are again with almost the same leaders.
I have been through the war and met many folks on every side shooting because they have been told that other side is evil, and yet all sides are the same at the end.
Rich are richer, poor are poorer. Nothing changed. Nobody learned nothing.
Big Circles and Small Circles (and your decisions)
Again and again, there is a big circle and small circle. You may have illusion that you are controlling things in bigger circle, but it is only an illusion. What kind of government you’re going to have and what kind of politics they use in the next years is not up to you, you just have been smartly led to believe that you can make the change.
It is like that…
At the end it all comes to the matter of power and possession, and you are just small piece of everything, you are small part of the tool.
Over the years I have learned that it is more important to have one more month of food stored or one more skill learned then to waste time on worrying who is going be elected.
It is a waste of time, when SHTF they all gonna do the same more or less, oppress people and take their rights and liberties very easy.
Living in society where you have certain rights and freedoms for years is a good thing.
The bad thing is, when SHTF and you lose all those rights in single day, and you find yourself so shocked that you simply do not know what next to do, because you had those rights for many years, it became totally natural for you to ‘own’ it.
Having lots of conversations with friends from the US, I concluded that the majority of common folks their simply do not understand that all your rights can be lost in one day.
And not by the evil invaders from the space, or Russians or who ever. Your government can take it. In One Day.
Majority of folks simply do not see this as a possible option, and even preppers their who understand it, may look like ‘weirdos’ because of this viewpoint.
Do not get me wrong, I would love to live in country where I can buy weapons easily, where I have rights to protect my home, where I can say freely (more or less) what I do not like.
I like that very much, actually I admire it.
What I do not like is feeling that most of the people think it is written in the stone and it can not be changed.
In short, things that I like most about US is going to be the biggest ‘loss’ in US when SHTF, and not only the US.
When SHTF there is going to be lot of surprised people, a lot of shock.
Your Perception of Future SHTF, Prepper Movement in the USA
I can not get rid of the feeling, that majority of people see SHTF as a big fun, shooting while drinking beer, with additional testing of all of their cool gear.
I see that in blogs, comments, forums, documentaries, movies…
I had more then one participants of my course who told me ”this is not fun, it is hard, and not so pleasant”.
I had people who have been preppers for 30 years and never considered the fact that when SHTF it is going to be smelly all around you.
There’s been a man who advises skateboard as a ‘good’ transport through SHTF city, a man who thinks that 30 brand new gold coins are going to get him through problems on his bug out trip and so on and so on.
Now I am not mocking with people who stated all the above. What I do not like is believing in “facts” that are not checked.
If you never been through SHTF you may not have the idea that it is not fun, but quite hard and unpleasant. Where do you think people and dead animals are going to be buried? Where will the garbage be taken, human waste and everything else? A foul smell is going to be a constant.
Don’t you think offering someone a brand new gold coin for safe passage won’t bring some “oooh maybe he has more of those interesting funny unusual gold things with him” attention?
Why don’t you try to have 10 cheap gold rings in your pocket instead, and offer on every “checkpoint”, one that you directly pull down from your finger with the words “here take my engagement ring, just let me pass”?
Is a guy going to think “oooh, maybe he has more of those his engagement rings in his pocket”?
Same things go with trade.
Examples are numerous.
Common sense is something that is missing mostly in “mainstream” prepper movements, and I understand that , it is business, it is about money.
But folks, choose carefully what advice you are taking as a real.
For the average, beginner prepper, the USA looks like paradise. A place where you can look and find correct information, also look and find correct equipment for future SHTF, but that also brings risk because there are more false and wrong information and mindset than right.
Personally I like what can be found in the US, because in most of the cases, I know what is good or bad, but for beginners it is much, much harder.
As some kind of conclusion for this very hard topic, because it is wrong to put things right with generalization:
- It is going to be very ugly, much more ugly than my SHTF experience here, simply because the ‘fall’ when SHTF going to be bigger. The “Distance” between modern everyday life and life in SHTF for the USA is WAY bigger than in my time. Majority of folks are “soft” and to dependent on the system.
- The ‘Survival Movement’ is big business, and it has become more (much more) about selling items (to make you believe that you are prepared) than about learning and gaining knowledge.
- Wrong perceptions about SHTF (or at least not checked and “experienced” beliefs) are rooted so hard, they have simply become the ‘accepted truths’. A LOT of these ‘truths’ are simply false and there for earning money, not for survival.
- A good thing is that you have much more options about choosing and owning weapons, but this option can ‘bite you back’ if you have weapons, but with the wrong mindset, ‘truths’ and knowledge, simply because a whole bunch of bad people are going to have weapons too.
- The majority of folks are not ready to bend the rules and adapt. There is lot of talk about adapting, but then suddenly you get whole bunch of folks who are thinking “I’ll do that” or “ I’ll never do that” instead of “I’ll do what has to be done (adapt to situation)”
- Working with other folks. You need to work with other folks, to have friends, group, connections-before SHTF. Survival alone is for really tough mother…kers.
- People prepare for SHTF, but not really, they are preparing for the romantic, movie version of SHTF. They want to feel cool and comfortable when SHTF, which is not a problem by itself. Problem is that they want that at the expense of real knowledge and covering of real basics. So you have a man who has a fancy and really cool rifle, but does not know how easy and fast in real fight it is to use 500 rounds, so he ends up without ammo in a week. Or has a generator but does not have a clue how to light a fire, or the differences between fuels for fire in terms of heating, smoking etc. Many examples…
- Do not look for higher reasons for the situation. You may have political options today, fractions, candidates, government. But when SHTF all that are empty words from some other distant time. When SHTF you will have yourself and people who want to harm you. That is it.
So folks, make sure you are preparing for the realities. I would encourage you to start ‘fact checking’ your plans and preps today…